Don't come here expecting to feel sorry for me - I don't.

I hope that sharing my progress and thoughts can offer some nugget of information or a point of view that can help anyone else struggling to come to terms with having MS, living with any form of MS or who lives with, supports or knows someone with it.

I’ve said before that I want to be really open about the stuff I’m dealing with, without it being the topic of discussion all the time. But, like I said when I posted on The Chronicles of Nani after my diagnosis, it’s not “why me?” it’s “why not me?” If there’s something I can do to make it easier for someone living with MS, or living with someone they love having MS, well, that’s why me!

If you or someone you know is affected by MS in any way or if you just seek to understand it, you are welcome here!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

New Day, New Keyboard

That’s how my day started, switching out the external keyboard I use at home with my laptop.

I usually drink a big mug of turmeric tea about every other day. Turmeric has wonderful anti-inflammatory qualities and it’s a homeopathic treatment for MS symptoms. I make the tea with 2 cups of near boiling water, ½ tablespoon of turmeric, a packet of Real Lemon and 2 packets of Splenda. It’s an acquired taste, but it does grow on you. I actually like the combination of bitter, sweet and citrus. Last night I discovered that I’m out of Real Lemon and grabbed a packet from the Real Lime box. I think I like the lime better! Anyway, I pour the hot water on top of the dry ingredients and let it steep.

My husband brought my tea in from the kitchen. It’s big cup and I can’t carry it in myself without spilling it. He had the tray I usually put on the kitchen chair to push it over to the dining room table. Cool thing is the time it took him to get a break from his game was just enough to steep it perfectly! If it’s not steeped enough the turmeric doesn’t blend in and it’s gritty. I don’t really know how much it actually does for my symptoms, but it relaxes me and that does help any pain fade. Maybe that’s where the notion that it quelled MS symptoms came from. The official word from my Neurologist is that there aren’t any homeopathic cures that have shown any significant improvements in symptoms. I firmly believe that emotional and psychological factors play an important role in ANY healing and anything that helps your brain work on healing is a good addition to medications and physical therapy. And also, I like it. I first tried the tea last spring and the flavor makes me feel like spring.

Anyway, the keyboard. Last night my husband got home a little later than usual and as dinner was ending, I was feeling tired. I’d managed to mop a good bit of the floor in the room I’m putting a new bookshelf in so I can place the shelf after I assemble it. I mop sitting in a chair. It looks silly, but the floor is clean and I did it on my own without falling! And there was no immediate pain or even fatigue. But I was tired and a little clumsy earlier than usual last night. The floor looks great and it was totally worth it!

My hands were weak and slippery-dry from the floor cleaner. I sat in front of the keyboard holding the last few swallows of my tea, when the cup slipped from my hands. I caught it, but not before it sloshed a few drops of tea on the table, a little under the laptop, a little on the extended keyboard! Everything seemed like it was working fine after I finished drying up, but this morning, no space bar! Fortunately the laptop is working fine and I had a backup keyboard.

So, try the tea! It’s got a complex but soothing flavor. Just don’t hover it over your keyboard!

Do you have any homeopathic things you do to accompany your medical treatments for MS? Please share!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tea sounds interesting. Thank you so much for visiting me and commenting on the bowling pins.

Have you visited blogger, Kim @
http://stuffcouldalwaysbeworse.blogspot.com/

EG CameraGirl said...

I have never heard of turmeric tea but think it's great it helps you. Too bad about the spill though! I hope that's a once in a lifetime experience. :)

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

At least you have a clean floor (I do the same thing) I try not to spill drinks but at least they clean up, usually easy...laptop??